- Can you share a time where you were given great advice or encouragement that helped you through a difficult time?
a.What was it about the advice/encouragement that made it so helpful for you?
- (2 Thess 2:15) What are some of the “teachings” Christians should hold fast to when faced with trials?
- (Eph. 6:10-11) We can see here that we must be “strong in the Lord” so that we can STAND against the devil’s schemes. What does it mean to be “strong in the lord”?
Daniel, Chapter 3, tells the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. This is the first biblical example of “standing strong” that came to my mind. These guys didn’t let their circumstances determine the level of their faith.
- Why is it so easy sometimes to let our circumstances determine the level of our faith, rather than our faith being a constant, no matter the circumstances?
- Do you think it mattered that these 3 went into this situation as a group?
- What would be the equivalent of being called to worship a 90 foot tall golden statue in our world today?
- Would you view this story differently if these men had entered the furnace and died instantly?
- They were rescued while they were in the furnace. Why didn’t God rescue them before they had entered the furnace? Is there a situation in your life you wanted God to intervene before it happened, but He allowed you to go through it anyway? What did you learn?
2 Thessalonians 2:13-17
13 But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. 14 He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.16 May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, 17 encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.
Ephesians 6:10-11: “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”
1 Corinthians 16:13: “Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.”
Phil. 1:17: “Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel”
Phil. 4:1: “Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.”
Galatians 5:1 “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery”
2 Cor. 1:24: “Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith”
Exodus 14:13-14: “And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”